add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1070 GPU: 144Hz, 1ms 1080p vs 60Hz, 4ms 1440 (gaming)

Egyptalicious
  • 48 months ago

Planning my first build and set on buying a GTX 1070 and I want to utilize its potential. My budget limits my monitor options though. So should I get a 1080p monitor with 144Hz and 1ms response time, or a 1440 monitor with 60Hz and slower response time (~4-6). Which would be better for gaming?

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

Your card will get 110+ fps at 1080p, 75+ fps at 1440p (average).

Monitors last longer than graphics cards so get a decent monitor. With this in mind, your next graphics card will be too good for both these monitors.

Those monitors you choose only just keep up with your card.

I would spend more and get a 1440p, 120 or 144mhz monitor. Or get the 1440p 60mhz (the 15 additional fps will lower with newer games).

Oops. Since you said for gaming, you want to win, higher fps and mhz gives you the edge, so of those 2 I'd get the 1080p. Higher fps and mhz. Depends what games you play and what you want from gaming though....

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

1080p 144hz is amazing

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

People with 1440 say it looks amazing over 1080. Also, people who have 144Hz say it makes a difference over 60Hz. Which is you priority looks or smoothness?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Well if you care more about the beauty of the scenery you should chose the 1440p but if you are more competitive and looking for fps them go with the 1080p with 144hz. With 60 Hz you are limited to a maximum of 60 FPS, no matter the gpu.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all for your comments! I think I'm leaning more towards a 1440p monitor with 60Hz and a slower response time. Although I am planning to play a few fast-paced shooters like CS, many of the other games I want to play I'd rather enjoy the visuals and scenery in those games!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say look at IPS if you want visually stunning. THOSE COLORS. Look up IPS vs TN colors. TN is often oversaturated.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

They both look great. I'd suggest going for the one in stock, though.

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

Response time below 9ms is indistinguishable to the human eye. I'm gonna get that out of the way now.

Beyond that, it's personal preference. People with a 144Hz build swear that it makes a difference over standard 60Hz, while other people just prefer the higher resolution. I'm in the latter group.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Where did you get this info from? Not that I want to prove you wrong but if that is true that would be really helpful

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

Well, 9ms response corresponds to about 111Hz which is above the human perception rate (90ish with some variance across individuals)

Of the specs you've given, 6ms is the worst, which corresponds to 167Hz. Since the response is above the framerate spec, you're fine

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Totally disagree, I have a 1ms 120hz monitor on one computer, the other is 5ms, you can tell.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube