add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Changes to the build guides index

philip

38 months ago

Hi everyone,

A while back we opened up build guides for everyone and made them votable. Our goal was to harness the collective intelligence and wisdom of the community and use it for good - producing good and useful build guides. And to an extent, we achieved that. We had several users invest a lot of time producing really good guides.

However, a lot of excellent guides were drowned out by guides of lower quality. We had many, many people using guides as part lists needing feedback. Or troll guides. Or "don't buy this" guides. In the end, I'd say the good and valid guides amounted to < 10% of the total.

For new users on the site, they'd see the guide section and then have a difficult time discerning which were of good quality and which were not. For the staff here, the moderation burden became too high. If it wasn't troll guides, it was part lists needing feedback (better suited for the forum) or people not being polite in the comment sections. Then a few weeks ago a bug (my fault) in caching caused the index to drop many guides from the index altogether. But just to be clear - the problems with guides existed for a long time before the indexing issues.

In the end, indexing community build guides was an experiment that didn't work.

What I've done is turned off indexing of community build guides. From here on out, the build guide index will list staff generated guides only. Users can still create guides, permalink them, get feedback and post comments on them, etc. They just won't be indexed on our build guide index page. It pains me to have to do this, but I think it is in the best interest of the novice builders who need them the most.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 14 points

I feel like at least one user deserves to have his guides indexed, and that user is rolfejc, who is ironically known for spamming the forums. However, his guides are amazing and are extremely educational and in-depth. Some of the best user guides are the ones where the users go out of their way to almost over-explain their choices, and coming from a noob's perspective that is extremely helpful.

Staff guides don't have that same level of depth. The descriptions just explain why they were chosen, not always a lot of the features and comparisons to other parts. Staff guides aren't bad, but some of them straight up are not even optimal, even for their select purpose. (The 980 RGB guide wasn't the best performance/price, but it had the purpose of being very "RGB". More recent staff guides I've seen just weren't really that good.)

In the end, indexing community build guides was an experiment that didn't work.

Just please choose a select few users to be able to make guides. I've almost never seen any mid to low priced PC guides you guys have ever made ($300-$600).

• 38 months ago
  • 6 points

And the thing is that there is still more creativity out there. There are people who have poured HOURS into build guides to make sure that they are good guides. (I personally have at least) Limiting it to only staff guides, while safe, is also silly because there are people with creativity, passion, and love for spreading their passions for PC building. And some people can only do partlists, but that's okay because there will still be passion and very good quality build guides there.

Not all guides are troll guides, and the good ones are never going to see the light of day again thanks to the staff only partlists. Limiting it in this way is like removing comments on a YouTube video. Sure, there won't be any trolling, but the good comments that are made by people who want to add to the conversation will never be able to share what they want to say.

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

No doubt there is creativity and excellent guides out there. There's nothing preventing us technically from pulling in a user guide into the index. The problem is time and labor. There are thousands and thousands of guides. Literally. So to find good ones would require us to go through all of them - multiple times a month - to find good ones to highlight. Doing that, in addition to the already heavy load the staff has moderating the site, just isn't feasible. Trust me, we'd love to if we could.

• 38 months ago
  • 4 points

As stated above, it could be something like a certain "upvote" limit (obviously not shown to limit the amount of troll spam). The guide could then be flagged for the staff, or whoever approves the guides in the first place. There could be more blacklist things as well to further reduce the amount of troll builds such as

• The account posting must have x amount of positive karma, or x amount days old
  • The person posting the guide must have had not been flagged for having a reputation for bad behavior
  • The account's IP cannot be linked to any other accounts that have similar bad reputation (no idea if you guys track this but hey)

Of course, people are going to try to find loopholes in the system, but that's with nearly everything. I, along with probably many others, still think it's unfair that so much wasted potential and creativity is out there, and will never see the light of day if this system stays. I'm not saying that the issue of trolling isn't apparent, but that there must be some sort of middle ground somewhere.

I respect whatever decision you guys decide to take, as it should be for the best of PCPP as a whole.

• 38 months ago
  • 0 points

The creativity isn't being wasted. People can still create guides - we haven't removed that ability. As for indexing them, we're always open to reevaluate things. However from the experiences that we've had on the site so far, we've found that:

• Anything that requires staff evaluation or moderation eats up a lot of time (i.e. completed build approvals) and we get pinged constantly on "when will X be approved" or "why was X not approved", etc.
  • Anything that requires specific criteria to get listed causes confusion when the criteria isn't met. Even if there are automated warning notes - people sometimes still don't read them and instead send us a contact request.

So indexing them with some criteria like you mention may seem like it's almost all automated, but in reality it does introduce a non-trivial support burden.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not create a sub-forum (i know this horse has been beaten to death long ago.) but take away the upvote/downvote system for that one sub-forum. That way a guide can exist as long as it doesn't drop off the last page. Couple that with truly exceptional guides that you as staff (who may or may not) have the time to review want to have indexed for future use, can cherry pick guides to feature and keep on a permanent basis. While i can see this being a huge issue given you guys are small, you dont have a dedicated staff and even if you did how would they be paid etc etc... I would say maybe once a month go through the list and pick a guide that really and i mean REALLY catches your eye and feature it or keep it. Just my two cents...

P.S. is PCPP going to be at any events such as PAX or E3 this year? Just curious.

• 38 months ago
  • 0 points

And Jipster69.

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

Agreed

• 38 months ago
  • 4 points
 I think will's idea is awesome!

Just one thing, how about every day or so, the staff go's through the community guides, and if they see that one user has an output of good, reliable, guides, they should give he/she the ability, if it is a rank or something else, so that that person's build guides get put on the build guides page.

Like digah said, staff build guides are smart, but they do not have the variety or depth of user guides. For instance, when I build a computer, I like to go as cheap as possible on the case, fans, ram, hdd. If you look on the staff build guides, they are all just your complete average builds for that price range. They aren't bad, they just are only relevant if you have that same exact preference.

So what do you say? Should smart, intelligent, qualified people who know a lot about computers (will, digah, not me) be able to share their knowledge within the great community of PcPartpicker.com? Or should they not? I am just a bystander sharing my opinion.
  • 38 months ago
  • 2 points

This is definitely a good call. Overdue, if you ask me. Good job staff.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

This is really disappointing because I for one loved posting a build guide and having people respond to them. Not having that takes a lot of the fun out of the site and, to be honest, this site feels less community oriented and more like a site to go on when you're building a PC and then you go and that's that. This is a sad time for the site and there must be something the staff here can do to let high quality builders, IMO, such as myself post their guides for the community to see in an easy to access way. I for one will not be digging through forum topics to find a build guide to comment on. The build guides section was easy to access, gave quick system specs highlighting the important parts, gave an overall price, and showed me pictures of some parts. all thing the forum can't do or isn't overly good at doing. I hope this issue is resolved with a better solution than "let's remove it" and when that day comes I will continue to make high quality guides for the more beginner-novice PC building market.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel that some of the more prominent community members (Maybe you could filter by criteria such as interquartile range divided post length, comment karma, number of comments, time since account creation, etc.) should be permitted to post build guides under a "Community Build Guides" section. This should cut the number of not-so-great build guides down considerably. If the PCPP staff decides that a particular user's guides/particular guide aren't/isn't very good, they could be prevented from posting them, or that particular guide could be removed from the community section. The way I see it is that those people who are very prevalent on PCPP invest a lot of time trying to help others and aren't interested in trolling or providing low quality advice and posting poorly thought out build guides. And while there may still be some substandard build guides, even after some objective user filtration (To prevent people from creating accounts just to create a troll guide since that user account would have to spend considerable time to accrue the delineating objective characteristics required to post build guides. The required time, effort, and dedication wouldn't make it worthwhile just to post one guide featuring https://pcpartpicker.com/part/haribo-food-gummibears3lbbag4pack as a part before being prevented from creating more.), there should be few enough for the PCPP staff to be able to reasonably manage on a more subjective basis (I know managing a site is a lot of work to do properly, like the PCPP staff does.). I feel this approach or something similar to it could strike a good balance between regulation (PCPP staff) and flexibility (Dedicated users can retain the privilege (not right) to post guides.). I still respect PCPP's decision and agree that this is a better solution than having low-quality build guides that uninformed people go out and replicate to their own regret or have to deal with avoiding, but I still wish that there were a greater quantity of good build guides to address different needs and uses (e.g. Minecraft server guides.).

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Simply have a serious build guide section where it is limited to staff to really help people, as well as a community one for people to enjoy; and then a team of Staff to look through the community and select builds to go into the serious section to address the shortage there. It was the highlight of my week at school to go down the communities build guides during my 'Study periods' and look at all the fun and great creations. Whilst it is true that some new comers looking for advice are not going to find it as easily; the fact that build guides are limited to staff also restricts the variety to an extent where I found it no longer helpful: mainly because there are no opinion orientated builds to compare and a lack of builds at a bunch of price ranges. Seriously I think this was a big mistake and I will not bother to use this website anymore.

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

We'd love to do it, but it's just not viable. You suggest using a team of staff - which is neither free nor cheap.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think he means just add an additional community build guide section, and keep the staff build guide section. There would be no need for extra staff to deal with the community build guide section because I don't think any of the community builds should be put into a staff guide section. The staff can make their own section for people that seriously need a guide, and then we can have a community, un-moderated (to an extent) section for creativity and overall fun. If you guys leave it at this, I might as well leave.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

There definitely would still be a need for staff involvement. We still have to manage spam in the guides (it happened a lot but you probably didn't see it much because we were dealing with all of it). We also have to handle inappropriate guides (i.e. NSFW, other rule violations, etc.). Then do we just ignore any reported guides for trolling?

I think people are grossly underestimating the amount of time we invested into the old guide index, and even then the average quality was far below what we had hoped. People treating it like feedback requests, cheapest builds, what not to build, you name it. I understand you'd like to have a place to showcase your guides - but do you really want that place to be in a sea of noise?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Then give the owners of each guide permission to delete comments.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

This stinks, but I knew something had to be done. Could we have a sub-forum for build guides, as will_rippey suggested, instead?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Philip, how about we still allow community guides but staff have to approve them before they get dumped into the guides page. And if any edits are made, staff have to approve them before others can see it.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless they want to moderate tens of thousands of requests, that would probably not be worth it

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing to point out with this new update, my profile states that I have 2 completed builds where I don't have any, and I have 1 build guides where I have 2.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Sorry about that - should be fixed now.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Why don't you just have a tab for staff builds and another tab for community builds, with a warning on the community builds tab that the builds may not be very useful?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

It's because moderating non-staff guides is a pretty substantial burden.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

then dont moderate it and just warn people

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

So you'd rather have an index that is largely full of things not build guides? I.e. where the average quality is so low, it brings down the reputation of the community?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure there will be plenty of "that" as well as build guides. It's a community index, after all, what do you expect? And what reputation of the community? Who cares about the quality if the community itself is the one using it? You can set a warning of some sort before you go on the page that there may be some of that but it's better than just stripping us of the ability to share creations as easily as we could before! I'm not replying to this thread anymore xd

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 3 points

LOL. Oh, we WERE moderating it. You would not want to see what it would look like had we not been moderating it.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

He has a point.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Why? Why can't you just ban the people who troll? I really could help the novice builders, as I use logical choices...

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

Well that would be half of the guide section.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Than I wouldn't be on this website anymore

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Why can't you just ban the people who troll

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Because it would take up too much of the staffs time that they could be using fixing other bugs or issues on other parts of the website. It would be too time consuming and expensive as they have to pay other staff.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

True. They could always hire me (I'm available to work at home over the summer)...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

One system that occurs to me would be to give a special privilege to users that prove their talent at doing guides. Instead of the staff having to review thousands of guides, the staff would just need to review dozens of users. In order to gain this privilege, either the staff manually selects the users at their discretion, or a monthly contest in the forums should happen where one could vote for users with good guides. And even if trolls get voted, the staff would just need to look at a few trolls instead of thousands troll guides. The forums could use a poll system for voting for their favorite.

It is like going directly at the root of the problem instead of the leaves. Cure the illness, not the symptoms. The current solutions does neither, it just kills the patient, no patient, no illness. I wouldn't call that solving the problem.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Although we have lost community build guides (sort of) I'm glad this is added, because there was wayyy to many spam builds that were awful.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel I should point out, and I should have said this in my last post but, even the staff build aren't perfect and someone who doesn't know what they're doing may get stuck with a less than perfect build for them. So, I think there should be better titles to the builds because, for instance, and thought's not the only one, the enthusiast build from thoughta could use a bit of work. The build is very good but I fit a 5820K, a 980 and a great motherboard into a $1200-1300 build but for $1500 you don't even get overlooking. I'm not trying to belittle thought's build because it's still really good but not exactly enthusiast. So I think if the site won't index specific people to post than you should at least categorize a bit more and clean up the titles of your concern is beginner-novice builders.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally think that I learned more from build guides, than I did from anywhere else on PCPP. I think it would be good for the community to submit their build guides but they must be looked over by the staff before actually being released to the public. Although this would be time consuming for the staff, maybe just a quick glance at the title and the part list and then released. Or troll guides could be reported by the public and quickly looked at by the staff when reported.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Or, to lessen the strain on the staff, a small handful of trusty users could approve the guides before submission as well. Every day I visit PCPP, I always check the build guide section to see if the community ones have been allowed yet.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I should speak on behalf of a lot of people, and you should see this to, that a lot of us go on this site a lot less now. Build guides were got me hooked on this site and now that they're gone I don't feel the need to come on here. I used to come on, comment on a ton of build guides, and legitimately help people. Now I come on and the site seems a lot more dead. The removal of build guides, from what I've seen, seemed to hurt user traffic and I feel that instead of all the ideas of indexing guides and these complex ideas, just remove guides you see that are trolls. There's no need to put a ton of effort into it, just remove them when you see them. That's all I have to say on this matter, and I'll continue to check hoping one day I see a community guide back on the site, but until then, I'm disappointed one of my favorite things to do was removed.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There were a TON of **** guides/low effort guides. There was probably 40 **** ones if not more for every good one. They don't have the time or man power to approve all of the guides, there is no way they could automate it and have people not game the system. It probably gave PCPP a back rep since once you clicked build guides you was bombard by **** guides. I say good riddance to them, no more having people post in the wrong place, no total **** guides/low quality/awful parts list and 99%, literally, didn't have a description. Its a sad lost for the people who put effort into them but it was a necessary one. It was like cutting off a leg, not something you want to do, but if that is the only way the rest can survive you gotta do what you gotta do.

Now I come on and the site seems a lot more dead.

Its just as alive before, hardly any of the people who made ****/low quality guides were on the forums, a ton of people didn't even know the forums existed or what they was, and could say they are a part of this community besides having a account and making a low quality guide.

legitimately help people.

That is what the forums is for, there are tons of people to help here.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Might I suggest doing the Community Build Guides suggestion that maybe requires staff approval before it gets put up on the index. Also making all the Guides searchable in the same way as the Completed Builds are? That way if someone is searching for a guide to go with a already owned part they can find that easier. I know it would have helped me a lot in the past.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There's nothing preventing us technically from pulling in a user guide into the index. The problem is time and labor. There are thousands and thousands of guides. Literally. So to find good ones would require us to go through all of them - multiple times a month - to find good ones to highlight. Doing that, in addition to the already heavy load the staff has moderating the site, just isn't feasible.

However from the experiences that we've had on the site so far, we've found that:

Anything that requires staff evaluation or moderation eats up a lot of time (i.e. completed build approvals) and we get pinged constantly on "when will X be approved" or "why was X not approved", etc.

It's because moderating non-staff guides is a pretty substantial burden.

Staff-wise I don't think we could sustain that. The moderation burden was high enough just handling reported guides and not reviewing all of them - because it ends up being more than just a 10 second review on each one. In practice what happens is that you quickly parse through the list approving and denying guides. But then you deny one that the user thinks should have been in there, so they send in a contact request or post on our forums. Then there's discussion with them why it was declined, etc. That's the part that really makes it unworkable.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess I should have clarified that it should only be ones that get so many thumbs up that get put in the community build guides and then if it continues to get noticed it becomes something like a featured guide and added to the larger list.

Sort of like the community build guides are separate and more of just shared parts lists with expanded info unless they really get noticed. Like say someone figures out a good 500-600$ Gaming PC for beginners and budget builders and gets marked as helpful 1000 times. Maybe it gets added to a review list that gets reviewed every quarter and if it is liked and found to be high enough quality it gets added.

Honestly it might be way to difficult to do even as a semiautomatic system. After all I will admit my website fu is next to useless. Though I find sometimes a bad idea might have the seed of a good idea.

Mainly what I think a lot of people would like is basically two indexes. One for the community and another for staff and staff picks. If only to allow us easier time finding possible build guides. And maybe make it so that to post a guide you have to have a completed build or it has to be made from a completed build.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There are a handful of Build Guide creators who I can think of deserve to be a staff or at least be allowed to post Build Guides. Overall in my opinion the update ruined some of the features in this that really attracted me here.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't a "Master" build guide be used? The core components are still the same, and a Guide explaining everything with brand particularities should be doable with the help of all the community. Just keep on enhancing and modifying THE guide that gets a newbie through the building process :)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

The Build Guide solution, while heavy-handed, was needed. I believe bringing further attention to the forums and the ability to save partslists instead of the small link in the mainbar, will solve much of the issue going forward. Perhaps an "Ask for help" button on the partslist page that brings you to the "New Topic" page (under Part List Opinions Wanted) with the partslist already inserted into the message box? Along with the partslist, why not add a set of questions for the user to answer about their build which will help others help them?

• 38 months ago
  • 0 points

I agree with what you've done. However, what do people that know what they're doing and legitimately want to make a build guide to help other users? My suggestion is that we shoot off a message to one of the staff and get them to take a look? It might mean that your inbox will be a bit more full, but trolls will know that you are directly reading their build guides and will hold back.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 0 points

Not necessarily. If the build guides are sent directly to the staff, all they have to do is take one quick look at the part list. If it is bad (which 90%) are, the staff won't have to take another look at it and will delete it. That would take about 10 seconds. If the part list is legitimate, which only a few will be, then they can take a look at the description and see if it is build guide worthy.

It does mean more work for the staff, but it will not be as bad because they will have far less build guides to look through.

• 38 months ago
  • 4 points

Staff-wise I don't think we could sustain that. The moderation burden was high enough just handling reported guides and not reviewing all of them - because it ends up being more than just a 10 second review on each one. In practice what happens is that you quickly parse through the list approving and denying guides. But then you deny one that the user thinks should have been in there, so they send in a contact request or post on our forums. Then there's discussion with them why it was declined, etc. That's the part that really makes it unworkable. We have no issue discussing that with people, it's just that we don't have enough staff on board right now to sustain that kind of workload for guides.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So then pick people who have contributed to the community a lot and have build guides on their account that are actually good. Go through the people complaining about the change, check over their account, and allow them to make build guides. You don't have to make a lot of people able to post but some that you feel are good at making really well put together system builds. I spend a solid 2 and a half to 3 and a half hours on this site every single day editing systems, checking prices, critiquing build guides, and making my own and I enjoy it. I'd like to continue doing that every day so the staff could even write a forum post saying if you want to be considered to be allowed to post than leave a comment with an attached sample build guide or something. It doesn't have to get out of hand with hundreds upon hundreds of people because you can take your time this way. Once you've sorted through everyone after an allotted amount of time you pick say, 10-20 people to be allowed to post build guides and the rest can help critique or make their own forum section for build guides, but have the exceptional people posted on the main build guides section. Then, how about every month 5-10 people are chosen to have their build guides featured for being exceptionally well made. If you did it this way, I think it would turn out really well in the end with beginner-novice builders having a plethora of builds to choose from with well made, and titled, guides on why every part could be well suited for the potential buyer.

Thanks

• 36 months ago
  • -1 points

Ok... Two more overkill builds for the road

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6950X 3.0GHz 10-Core Processor $1649.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING CARBON EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $598.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage *MyDigitalSSD BP5e Slim 7 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $196.99 @ Amazon
Video Card *Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire) $269.99 @ B&H
Video Card *Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire) $269.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $382.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $57.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus MG278Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor $389.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $169.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $5310.82
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 16:06 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6950X 3.0GHz 10-Core Processor $1649.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING CARBON EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $598.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage *MyDigitalSSD BP5e Slim 7 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $196.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $669.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $669.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $57.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus MG278Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor $389.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $169.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $5307.84
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 16:08 EDT-0400
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 0 points

Then it just turns into people trying to game the system or use their internet popularity to get others to upvote their content. Users are still free to make guides and share them.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • -1 points

Our belief is that we have entirely removed gaming the system and now users can share their build guides directly to others.

People absolutely love to upvote troll guides or specific friends/personalities online and would abuse that system. We see it here every day.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 6 points

Sorry to butt in on your argument that happened 6 days ago, but I have a bit of insight. (crazy rant ahead get the popcorn)

When I first came on to this website on a friend's account, I knew near nothing to PC building. I was about to build my first PC, which was sad. It was for "gaming," and had an AMD a4 APU powering it, a $100 motherboard, and 16gb of RAM. It also had one of the deadly PSUs that came with the case. After only an hour of going through the build guides section, I was probably 800% more knowledge-full on picking PC parts. These build guides provided part by part information about choosing the best parts for the money.

When I listed my first build guide, it kind of also sucked, but the people on it gave me great tips on how to improve it.

What I am saying now, is that there is no way for people to list the parts that they chose, and at the same time get feedback on how to improve their guide. Maybe a possible community parts list section???

What I am really saying now is that this website is great for a lot of stuff, but now being able to share your build guides with the public is now unavailable, which this website's user base may take quite a punch from.

Also, maybe a character count on the comments? I'm always going on these giant rants. RIP the rest of my day.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 5 points

This. We need an index of some sort, and a dedicated section on the forums, wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Without an index, it's likely most guides will not be seen, whatsoever. I can understand why the staff chose to do this, due to the rampant abuse, but this will likely result in Build Guides being abandoned by many, unfortunately.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeas

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Yesh pls ;-;

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yesssssss

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

YES

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

How about letting everyone doing a build guide but having it set to approval, once approval the build guide will show up in the build guide. Also

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/156056-changes-to-the-build-guides-index#cx1765852

They don't have the man power to look through and approve the guides and then hear people ***** about their guide not being approved which would happen.

Also what about having volunteered moderators?

I don't see that happening but no harm in asking. What we need to do is set up a council of sorts with people on, make a thread, and then the majority of us has to approve the guide and then who made the thread adds that guide in the list.

[comment deleted]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

There would be only selected people on the council otherwise it would be a train wreck.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 2 points

But then our dank build guides that is filled with good solid information will get quickscoped... :(

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

rip.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

*When you realize you forgot the season the meat

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube