add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to build an mITX, is the EVGA Z170 stinger worth it?

Robotfood

45 months ago

So right now newegg.com has a wicked sale on the Stinger and I'm just trying to decide if its worth it over for example the ASRock mITX z170 board.

Both here for comparison.

Stinger

ASRock Z170 mitx/ac

Need to know if its worth the dosh to pick up the Stinger while its on sale, or go with the ASRock that has built in wifi.

I know the Stinger has the m.2 card but I havn't really decided on whether or not I need that yet.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the stinger (got it on sale for $120). The m.2 is only good for bluetooth/Wifi modules which are about $20 minimum. So if I can ever find a decent E-key module that isn't OEM, I'll end up spending about $140. The AsRock is a better value, and you don't miss out on much other than looks. If you're going for an aggressive overclock, you should get a board with VRM heatsinks, it really improves stability. Its not that big of a deal on locked chips, but when you're overclocking its kind of a big deal.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks for the advice. I think with what I'm going to be doing with it the ASRock might be a better purchase, especially with the rebate currently putting it within about $10 of the H170 version. I'll likely stick a i3 or pentium in for now and upgrade it to an unlocked i5 in the future. I've been planning on putting together a linux box for a few weeks now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube