add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's your favorite version of Linux?

Aarodynamics
  • 49 months ago

I've just introduced myself into the world of Linux after repurposing an old PC as a server, so I booted Linux on it and just got rid of Windows as it is. As there are many many different types I was wondering what your favorite is specifically, and why? I might maybe try some different ones as well.

Edit: Found this awesome link to a chart of every Linux ever https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I like debian, it gives you a nice set up system but it doesn't hide everything and try to be user friendly, the platform is still relatively open to do whatever you want with it without you having to lay down the foundation. I usually use xfce, it's fairly simple and customizable and comes with just enough software to touch all of the bases, ive also toyed with dwm a bit, but not everything i was used to in xfce was easily replacable

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Software > Operating Systems".

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't particularly like Linux. Out of all the components involved, Linux is one of my least favorites.

Currently using Windows XP SP3 so I don't have much to say as to which one I like more. Highly anticipating Nix/NixOS and Guix/GuixSD. Some people are smart, whoever conceived Nix proved that. That's not to say I'm anticipating Nix's release (it has been released,) rather its growth.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I searced nix and found... an alternate package manager? https://nixos.org/nix/ Am i missing something? never mind, I figured it out :P

Gnu/hurd has interested me, i keep meaning to try it out.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Only true Linux people will know why

I think I'm missing something.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube