add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Removal of downvoting on completed builds and build guides

philip

42 months ago

To mitigate abuse, I'm removing downvoting on completed builds and build guides.

We see it fairly often - situations where someone will post their guide, and then will downvote all recent guide submissions in an effort to get theirs to rise to the top. It's bad enough on its own, but we've got a contest coming up soon where votes are tied in... and that would only exacerbate things.

Downvoting builds/guides is often a pseudo-anonymous method of aggression. Someone says something that makes another person mad, so they go and downvote everything that user has submitted. That happens more often on comments (which we're going to address in due time), but also happens on builds and guides too.

But what about "bad" builds or "bad" guides? What to do if there is no downvote to "put those builds/guides in their rightful place?" Well, if the build or guide is a troll, flat out incorrect, or spreading misinformation, then just report it and we'll deal with it. That's a better way to handle things than just downvoting.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I was thinking it was a glitch cause i didn't see the downvote thing, i decided to go on the forums to see if it was discussed and it is. Good to know why it was removed.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

flat out incorrect, or spreading misinformation, then just report it and we'll deal with it

What, you don't want the community to lynch them?

Anyway, are you all capable of keeping up with all the reports? I'd imagine that with comments and posts that there would be quite a lot to sift through.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

So that explains it.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You can still down vote on mobile.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Aye, that's my mistake. You can still downvote, but it's not actually counting it right now. Will get that removed on mobile too.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this permanent or just for the duration of the MSI contest

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Permanent.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

and then will downvote all recent guide submissions in an effort to get theirs to rise to the top.

I cant believe people on this website are actually immature enough to do that

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

welcome to the internet dude :P

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

We have a lot of children. 70% of the MSI contest wont be 18 yet!!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

What about comments on the forum?

In response to "what if it's a bad suggestion, like a 300w PSU and quad Fury X?", you've pretty much answered that in your last paragraph for the extreme cases, and I would think that an actual response would be more useful to explain what is wrong rather than just downvoting and never saying why.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

someone will post their guide, and then will downvote all recent guide submissions in an effort to get theirs to rise to the top.

So what if someone did the opposite, created multiple dummy accounts to use to get their ratings up (and never did anything with them) or told all their friends to upvote it? I've recently reported a build guide for the MSI contest that doesn't seem like it would get upvotes, but it has the most out of all of them so far. :/

EDIT: It's gone now (thanks to the awesome staff).

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Vote collusion will get you banned. :/

Don't worry - we're aware of it and will deal with it soon.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Philip, for this MSI competition, some things aren't made very clear from the contest site.

I was wondering if you knew the answers to any of these questions, seeing as the contest is sort-of run from your side as well.

1: Are we allowed custom parts (e.g. Cablemod sleeved cables or water-cooling parts)?

2: Does the Z170 SLI Krait count as a 'gaming' motherboard?

3: Does the final $2000 limit allow rebates and combo discounts?

Thanks!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

1: Yes

2: Yes

3: I'm assuming no on mail-in rebates.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll follow up on those with MSI and get clarification. As far as I understand, the contest doesn't officially begin until tomorrow.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Random question here:

Would you mind telling us what your peak traffic hours are? I'm trying to time when to best submit my entry tomorrow. (market research :P) GMT is preferable but I can work with whatever your local zone is.

Sorry if I came across a bit selfish or that data isn't available to share.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

we can always just ban or strip voting abilities from abusers that have high or frequent down vote counts

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

At the risk of repeating suggestions that have already been considered and rejected:

Rather than banning downvotes outright, perhaps instead limit the availability and usage frequency of downvotes. For example: Downvoting wouldn't be available until a user has been registered and in good standing for ${INITIAL_AGE:-60 days}. After that, a user would accumulate spendable downvotes at the rate of one per ${ACCUM_INTERVAL:-1 week}, up to a maximum of ${MAX_DOWNVOTES:-5}. Downvotes cannot be spent more frequently than once per ${SPEND_INTERVAL:-1 day}.

This would make downvotes a scarce commodity, and people would have to think hard before spending them, i.e. they wouldn't get used in a fit of pique. (This could also create a sockpuppet account problem, however...)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 3 points

I genuinely felt sad for this guy.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya I've only been here for a few days and the community is awesome. Can't imagine that.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

He definitely put a ton of work into that PC, and to have it torn to shreds like that must be practically torture. I hope that guy finds out about this and feels better :)

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

His PC was totally BA too. It's sad that we might not be able to see any of his creations in the future :/

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I went looking for the update for this but it was 12 month ago plan-to-fix? I'm actually interested in how this build went now. I mean, it was rocky at the start, but with the right people getting involved to help the guy out, that thing could be so epic. The Submitter could even have a tale of struggle and triumph to write as a new description! (I enjoy a good read like that If you can't tell)..

To tie in with the topic here, I agree that the old bandwagon can brutal, especially to a new guy making a few mistakes as per Geekazoids example. (look at all mine, we've all been there)

So although I'm reasonably new on PCPP, I see how down votes can be abused and if it's important, you probably should speak up and explain why you did - rather than click down and 'Red-X' it. ie Negative down vote isn't constructive anyway so I don't see how it will be missed.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you very much for pointing this out to us. I'm actually quite certain there are many more similar cases out there that we're just unaware of. Hope this change will bring good to the PCPP community! :-)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Watercooled Gaming Rig

To sum up the comments: delete by staff or hidden.

I feel sorry for him.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

agreed for the most part.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. Please do not report those.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 2 points

In both those cases, report it. If it shouldn't be a guide, it's far better to report it so we can remove it. Downvoting couldn't signal us that way to let us know.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

lol, true, Report squad let's go!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

;)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL I just upvoted it now despite seeing it multiple times.

I will miss it too... in a certain way...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube