add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu decision time

GlubNak12

48 months ago

I'm torn between getting a i5 6500 or 6600k (this would be my first intel experience,i've heard great things) or a AMD 9590 or AMD 9370. I've been using AMD for the past few years and it hasn't once had a problem. Generally what i want to do with my computer is play games and be able to do some light video work/file conversions. I'm also on a budget of about 300-350 CAD for my CPU because our dollar sucks eh. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go for the i5. More versatile and you get a better upgrade path. It performs slightly worse, but it also uses much less power and puts out much less heat. Also, if the games you play don't take advantage of all 8 of the AMD chip's cores (many don't), the i5 comes out on top.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Not to scare you, but I've been having issues with the i5-6600k Skylake with the cpu freezing bug. Motherboard manufacturers are starting to roll out BIOS updates to fix the issue, but it's given me nothing but headaches for the past 4 weeks. :(

PC would randomly freeze from watching a youtube video, playing games, or running cpu tests, etc. It would freeze 2 hours into gaming, or the pc would be fine for a week, THEN freeze.

Many troubleshooting hours. Many emails back and forth with the motherboard manufacturer. 4 trips back to Micro Center to replace parts.

...to find out that there is this skylake problem.

Just giving you a heads up. There are people that don't have this problem, I did unfortunately.

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

They are not in the same price range... Intel offer superior product but they also are more expensive. I would not go with AMD before ZEN, depending on your budget.

There is a lot of options actually depending what you want and your budget.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

because there is no reason to choose AMD over Intel at this moment. ZEN may change the situation if it meet the expectation that the company describe.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

By the time zen comes out ill have bought a new CPU anyways and i don't have the money to drop on a brand new processor (probably 400-500+ for the best one?) so i'll just be buying one from a year or two ago that will hold up for another few years. i5 is pretty well future proofing at this point

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

Get a 6400 and overclock it to the speeds of a 6600. Since I assume your getting a Z170 board (why else would you be getting a K series CPU)

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 0 points

BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER. Put simply.

On a more serious note its a really kewl loophole because the silicone used between i5s is exactly the same and not binned. A 6400 has got just the same chance of hitting 4.0Ghz than a 6600K. The voltage is the same on a 6400 and a 6600 at the same clock speeds. Even though it is random.

and base clocks

Don't really get it :/

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

It is binned. They're all binned. Otherwise it's not efficient for mass production. All skylake quad cores start their lives as potential 6700Ks. Then, they are tested to make sure hyperthreading works. After that, those with hyperthreading are binned into the various skus of i7s, and those without are binned to become different types of i5s.

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

between i5s

By that I meant that they don't bin chips between different i5s but I was leaving whether or not they bin between different series.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

They do though. The best binned ones become 6600Ks, the second best 6600s, and so on.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube