add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The 3rd time I'm replacing parts - Advice needed

joejccva71

48 months ago

Hey guys I need advice. To make a very long story short, I built a system here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YGTJ6h , and I bought the parts at Micro Center that is in Massachusetts where I live.

• The first time I had a bad motherboard (Gigabyte) out of the box, to be safe I went back and replaced all the parts. Same motherboard.

• Second time ...same thing...no post out of the box. Tech support verified it was bad again.

• The third time I got a different brand name motherboard (ASRock Z170 Pro4) and it was fine. Didn't replace all the parts but after installing Windows 7, updating all drivers, updating BIOS to latest version and running Windows Updates to ensure everything is up to date, I've been getting random hard freezes on my system where I have to hold down the power button to turn off and then switch it back on.

I've been in contact with the motherboard manufacturer for over 2 weeks, they had me switch the ram into different sockets which was fine and I thought the issue was fixed but after 7 days, it froze again. Now they have no idea what the issue is.

Trust me, I've tried everything I can think of and ASRock support has thought of but the freezing is so random and sporatic that I'm left with no choice but to keep replacing parts until things work.

I'm thinking of switching motherboards again but not sure which to get. Also should I continue to get the i5 6600k 3.5ghz cpu? I dont know if that is the problem but maybe a better Skylake processor?

I haven't even tried OC'ing yet, i'm just trying to stop from freezing so randomly.

I need advice on a motherboard, 8gb RAM, and I guess a PSU. I thought my PSU by EVGA was good but not even sure about that now.

Help please. I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I've never had this many issues with a build before.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried using one of the RAM sticks instead of both?

As to freezing, this is just in Windows, correct? And what were you doing before the computer crashed? Were there any error messages?

I guess another option to test the PSU is to ask a friend if you can bring yours over and test it in their system under load to see if there are any problems.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so yes I've tried just one stick and it freezes. It's Windows 7, but I have also tried updating to Windows 10 but it would still freeze. I already had another 850W PSU that was in a different machine of mine that is a couple years old but it's working fine, and I plugged that in. It took a few days but it froze again eventually.

As far as the things I'm doing when it freezes, it could be playing games like Witcher 3, MS Flight Simulator X, or Skyrim to just watching Youtube videos. I don't think it's ever froze while idle before. It's always been during games or youtube. I've even run Prime95, OCCT, and other stress testers for hours. I ran OCCT once for 17 hours straight on 100% load during that time with no problems.

I've checked Application and the System logs and it never has any errors when the freezes happen. There is this error though when I boot into Windows:

WMI Source:

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

A fresh install should do the job then. Backup all your data and install again. (Should do the trick.)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

A fresh install of Windows? I've formatted and installed Windows 7 three times. One of those times I upgraded to Windows 10 but still froze, so i wiped and installed Windows 7 again. Each time, full windows updates, drivers off the manufacturers website, etc.

The error I posted above isn't keeping me from doing normal functions on my system, and I was able to use my PC for games, etc for an entire week before it froze again.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

... TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99...

You can see if the following link/article applies in your situation, Microsoft: 2545227

As for recommendations on alternative parts: Options

Also watch out for: Intel Skylake CPUs bent and broken by some third-party coolers

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

My guess is that its the graphics card now I had this issues on a dell desktop with a nVidia GPU. The system would lock up and show on the display whatever was last on the display. Replacing the GPU solved all of the issues. Do you have another GPU that you can use?? Or try to use the integrated graphics and yank the graphics card??

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have not done this yet, but the puzzling thing is, I've run Witcher 3 at ultra settings which is probably the most gpu intensive game out right now and I still was able to get 60 fps and I played it all week, literally 7 days straight since last Monday night for about 6-7 hours each day without any freezes.

I also have frozen just playing Youtube videos before.

I mean I guess I could try it, but at this point I'm more interested in probably exchanging the parts. Like I could go for a week without freezes.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe an update fixed the issue.... playing youtube videos still uses the gpu more than at idle. have you tried RMAing the graphics card yet?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I was going back to Micro Center and replace the parts but I was asking in my original post which parts should I get now because maybe the ones I got weren't good quality.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I would definitely try the Graphics Card. Let us know how that goes.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting ALL new parts Saturday from different brands.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have not very experienced yet to give full-proof answers, but do you think updating the BIOS may have caused your dilemma? On some boards, it's recommended to stick with the current installed BIOS if there is no problems with it in the first place.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I upgraded the BIOS because when I got this new board (ASRock) it was freezing in the BIOS and was told by support to upgrade to the latest BIOS version. So, not sure.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

In this entire thread, I see no mention of your monitor?? What is it?

Nothing wrong with your parts selection of above.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have two:

24" Dell U2410

22" LG Flatron E2241V-BN

The 24" is connected via a DVI cable and the 22" is connected via HDMI. Both connected to my Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

try one monitor at a time. Just a couple of months ago, my Dell ST2410 was acting up with triple monitors. Switched to different HDMI cable, and that was my issue. After all these years.

Don't rule out your monitor's, they can also act up and a hell of a time to resolve.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

You mean you were having very random freezes like I am?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

My newish 4K monitor was not playing well with 1 of my 2 1080 monitor's. Surround would not setup every boot. I changed the cable and type of cable and works now every single time.

I just see you switching out hardware when it is your screen that freezes. Well the monitor is connected to your hardware :) Not saying we will find anything, but you are probably looking for anything to try at this point.

Computer can be very frustrating when the slightest thing goes wrong. I DO feel your pain.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

But my screen is freezing, but I can't do anything except hold down the power button to shut down the machine and power it back on. Ugh, it's so intermittent.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel your pain, I am in a similar place right now. I have replaced literally my GPU, CPU, MB, RAM, PSU and still have the hard freezing issue. Hope someone can help you so that I might be able to find a fix for mine.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm getting all new parts from all different brands this Saturday, including a new case. It's basically going to be a new computer.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Man, I wish I had done that originally. Unfortunately I'm too deep at this point to not solve the problem :(

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I am thinking it's the processor. I've been troubleshooting for weeks on my pc. I replaced every single component except the CPU. Random screen locks and my ethernet randomly loses power. It could be a game, it could be skype, it doesn't matter what I'm doing. It's just random. My new build and yours have nothing in common besides the I5 6600k, and that's the only component I haven't replaced. I really don't want to send the cpu back and stay without but I think there might be no other options.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

This is like the thread from hell!!

I do feel your pain. But not this extreme.........

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube