add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Black Screen on New Build

Lunar.Fennec

49 months ago

I just pieced together a new build, salvaging my HDD and RAM from my old one. I got everything put together, but when I power it on I just get a black screen. The fan on the GPU spins for a brief moment as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7F4b7P

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Read the Compatibility Notes in your own parts list link.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I check the MOBO's website and it said that my processor has been supported since the first release.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have the PCB revision 4.0, then processor is supported is straight out of the box.
If you have PCB revision 3.0, no.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I have Rev 4.0

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it just stay on with a black screen and no post and no beeps? Or does it power off and restart in a "loop"?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It just idles on the black screen.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

OK I was just curious because I went through two Gigabyte motherboards recently because they were DOA out of the box. But my issue was I would have a black screen that would sit there for about 15-30 seconds, then restart and do the same thing for 30 seconds, and restart again.

No screen, no post, nothing.

I had to go with ASRock board and it worked fine.

Also, how long are you letting it idle at the black screen. I know you don't have a Z170 chipset but I know that chipset is very slow to POST. Have you waited and let it sit on the black screen for a good amount of time?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I've only let it sit for a few seconds, I'll try letting it set for a while longer and see what happens. I was also advised by a friend to try removing my graphics card and see if the on-board card will display anything.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, different chipsets are different. Some take a while to post the first time. The first time I booted up my ASRock Z170 Pro4 it took a full 2 minutes before I saw anything on the screen. After that and it recognized my drives, it was fine.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I left it to idle while I was out getting lunch and the screen was still black. Is it safe to assume my board was DOA?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube