add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Two Gigabyte GA-Z170 HD3 boards dead out of the box

joejccva71

49 months ago

To make a long story short, I bought this board from Micro Center here locally in Massachusetts where I live and both boards were dead out of the box.

My specs: 6600k Skylake Gigabyte GA-Z170 HD3 motherboard Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 Crucial DDR 2400 - 8GB ram (2x4GB) EVGA 650W 80+ Gold ATX PSU NZXT S340 Blue/Black case

When I'd boot up, I'd get a black screen, no post, no beeps, no screen. Machine would restart after 15 seconds or so, with no screen or anything. Tried two different PSU's including a working 850W Corsair PSU that I had. Same thing.

Returned the board back to Micro Center and got a new one that was the same brand and model. Got a replacement CPU and RAM as well.

This time, didn't put it in the case and tested it out of the box by just connecting the PSU cables necessary, same thing....did not boot at all. No screen, no beeps, no post, and would restart after 15 seconds.

Tried clearing CMOS, nope nothing.

Anyone else ever see this issue? I mean could two different boards be DOA out of the box? I've been building machines for a long time now and had never seen these issues.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That must be really bad luck or you are doing something wrong.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean it could be me but to isolate that I made sure I used an anti-static band as well as a mat, and the second time I hooked up the board outside of the case and only plugged in the 24pin, 8pin 12v, the cpu with the hyper 212 evo cooler and the ram.

Brand new board, cpu, cooler, and ram and it still had same result. No post, no screen, no beeps and it would shut down and restart every 15 seconds or so.

I mean I just built a gaming rig for a friend of mine. I used to work as a repair contractor for both Dell and HP replacing boards and parts all the time. I've done this for about 15 years.

I eliminated all possibilities. It could just be me though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube