add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No, I will not run ads

philip

43 months ago

We get a decent number of emails from various ad networks, ad embeds, etc., wanting to work with us to better monetize PCPartPicker. I'm sure any site of modest size gets these. They run the range of "let me guest blog for you about skincare products" to "I've got widgets that put modal ads up on page loads".

Nope. Not going to happen.

Here's our commitment to you: As long as I'm in charge of things here, we will not run banner ads on this site. We will not run anything that puts modal ads on this site. We absolutely, positively, will not run anything that auto-links text to ads on hover. We're not going to run anything that distracts you from the PC building process. There's no need to disable adblock for PCPartPicker - your experience will be the same either way.

We monetize the site not through ads, but through affiliate relationships with retailers. We do so in a way that I feel is transparent to the function of the site. Meaning that if we do our job right - making the best PC building site we can - then the revenue side will take care of itself when people use the site. There's no shady cookie insertions, no browser toolbars trying to capture your purchases mid-stream, and no calls to use our affiliate links to support us. If we provide a useful service, and if you've used our links to retailers to buy hardware (because it makes it easy, not because of loyalty) then we've done our job properly.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 13 points

I think the bigger question here is who would want to guest blog about skincare products on PCPartPicker?

Anyways, thank you Philip for keeping the site ad free. I know a lot of sites that had good potential, but are ruined by ads.

• 43 months ago
  • 10 points

"let me guest blog for you about skincare products"

Lotionbottlepicker.com

• 43 months ago
  • 5 points

"let me guest blog for you about skincare products"

I've got to wonder, how would they even work this? "Hey guys, was working on my new Intel FX-8530 with IGPU card, and noticed my skin was dry. So I tried XXX..."

"I've got widgets that put modal ads up on page loads"

So either you misspelled "model" twice (unlikely, but maybe New Year's celebrations haven't ended for you yet... :P), or this is some ad type I haven't heard of before. Quick look gives me... this topic, which might be showing an example: http://superuser.com/questions/433613/how-to-disable-javascript-modal-popup-ads

Anyway, glad to hear it!

• 43 months ago
  • 8 points

Yeah, no idea on some of the guest blog articles. Pretty sure they just email a ton of sites and see what sticks, regardless of whether the subject material is appropriate or not. I'd say of all the ad placement emails we get, maybe 5% have visited the site and actually know what we do.

For modal - that basically means that you've got an ad that takes over the screen. It's modal if you're forced to interact with it before doing anything else on the page. I hate them with a passion, especially ones that pop up after the content has actually rendered. When I see those, all I can think is, "I hope you're making a ton off this placement, because I'm not coming back."

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, thanks for the info.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

For modal - that basically means that you've got an ad that takes over the screen. It's modal if you're forced to interact with it before doing anything else on the page. I hate them with a passion, especially ones that pop up after the content has actually rendered. When I see those, all I can think is, "I hope you're making a ton off this placement, because I'm not coming back."

Better yet are the ones that can't be turned off until you enable Adobe Flash. Firefox's 'Inspect Element' option is useful then.

Thanks for PCPP btw.

• 43 months ago
  • 4 points

So you basically tell people to pound sand when they want to advertise on this site?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Thanks. You are the first site admin ive ever seen to do this. Its amazing what you do. Keep it up.

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

Another reason why I love this site.
*thumbs up*
*+Eleventy Billion*
*cracks beers and passes to the PCPP crew*

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a outstanding thing. For one. Those annoying full page ads on other sights that cover the thing is annoying, and then half the time you have to look to close the ad. Or the ads that expand from a banner and cover half the content of the site with no way of closing them. Then the chance that there is malware in the link of the ad.

PCPP really does this right all the way around, i feel it is a sound business model and a staff that cares about the content on the site.

I hate going to a website and they care more about ad revenue then they do about the content.

Thanks for the work you put into the website.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Wish more people thinked like you, keep it up. I absolutely love my time here!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

AMEN!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

What if there was a hidden page (like the food list) that was for ads that way I could go there and refresh adds avery few seconds to help fund pcpp :P

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 5 points

Really appreciate the sentiment, but we don't take donations. We'd much rather you donate to a charity instead. (Here's our official position on it.)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube