add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking softwares

Armha
  • 54 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about overclocking my new set up, would you have any freeware to check my PC temperature, put it under load and/or mesure performance before/after?

I have an i7 6700k, msi gaming m7 mobo and corsair h100i gtx

Thanks a lot! Armha

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

A decent benchmark for testing CPU performance is CineBench and a good benchmark for testing GPU performance is FireStrike.

CPU overclocking is done primarily in the BIOS, but the CPU can be monitored in CPU-Z.

A lot of different companies have created software for GPU overclocking, but the most popular seems to be MSI Afterburner, which can also be used to monitor the GPU.

For putting parts under load, you could try AIDA 64 on the CPU and Hairworks on the GPU.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more precise, I only plan on overclocking the CPU (will leave the GPU for now) and kinda know how to do it from the bios. The softwares would be to monitor that the system is 'stable'....I mean all I hear is people trying to find settings for a 'stable' overclocking, though I'm not so sure what it means !

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Prime95 is usually used for stability testing. Basically you run it in stress test mode and see how long it takes for threads to crash. If all of the threads are still running after a few days it is stable. http://www.mersenne.org/download/

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

BIOS for CPU. Don't even bother overclocking the CPU with software.

Prime 95 is the best bet for stress testing as it will let you know when individual threads fail.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

cool thanks man

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to help!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the MSI M5 - it came with temperature monitoring and overclock software - does the M7 have that software? I would think it does.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah it does, i'm more looking for the after-OC as it is so easy to OC with that mobo (button on board).

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube