add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Another first time builder ;) budget ~2k$

Armha
  • 54 months ago

Opinions wanted ! Will use my PC mainly for gaming and don't plan on doing any over clocking. Color scheme (if possible) would be red/black.

Also I'm a bit nervous as I never built a PC myself and always bought one all up and ready...Any advice for the mounting part (with or without links to websites) would be most welcomed !

Some questions that I'm not sure about....

1- I would like - in the future - to add a 2nd card in SLI so chose the 5930K build for its 40 PCI lanes (to be able to run my graphics cards at 2x16 and not 16x1 and 8x1 with a Z170) but is this crazy and should i instead opt for the new skylake proc?

2- I often see a SSD with an HDD for the storage, I dont need that much space, is it ok to just go with one SSD and no HDD?

3- I've been debating mid tower vs full tower...I made sure my case can handle the 240mm water cooler CPU at the top but I'm still not sure it's the way to go...

4- What do you think about having an audio card? Makes a difference while gaming/listening to music?

5- Should I add a UPS for protection??

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $461.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $173.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $87.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $159.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $656.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $117.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $39.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $85.98 @ OutletPC
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $49.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $61.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $17.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2235.67
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $2175.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-21 17:33 EST-0500

Thanks for the help guys!

ArMha

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump. Any luck guys?? Thanks!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I will answer your questions then present the list I put together.

1. GPUs see very minimal benefit from running in x8 or even x4 vs x16, so stick with Skylake for gaming.

2. It's perfectly ok to go with just an SSD, the one I added should be enough storage for a while.

3. This comes down to personal preference really. Me personally, I believe a mid tower is enough for anyone who is only going to have 2 GPUs. But a full tower case will provide more airflow and cable management, naturally.

4. Motherboard integrated sound is more than good enough for most people, I'm not sure the sound card you selected is even any better than the onboard audio.

5. A UPS is simply unnecessary for a gaming build, a high quality PSU is enough protection.

Here is my list if you have any questions let me know!

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $87.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $199.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $656.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $117.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.89 @ OutletPC
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1890.79
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $1845.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 21:25 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for your input! Yeah i was under the impression that running a card on x8 would reduce the performances by half! How wrong! So I would def be looking at the Skylake then.

One follow up question on that though, the LGA 1151 socket from the Z170 mobo only allow for one x16 or two x8. Since i plan on running SLI cards later down the road, would the wireless card usage of x1 jeopardize this? Or can i still run my two 980 Ti on x8 and have that extra x1 for the wireless card? Or since the max PCI lanes supported by the CPU is 16, having that x1 from the wireless card would force the GPU to both work on x4?

Also just curious why the change in case (though it does look nicer!) and the change in CPU coller?

Thanks again!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I don't exactly know how to explain this but the motherboard actually allows x4 lanes. So along with the CPU you would have a total of 20 lanes. This allows you to run 2 GPUs each at x8 and your PCIe wireless card at x4.

As for the change in the CPU Cooler and Case when I make part lists I simply put my personal preference for items that are similar so you have more options to look at :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll start off with my take on your question's (which are also where my suggestions for changes are):

• Going with the 5930K is a waste of money. Games don't need an i7 and your reason of wanting to run both GPU's (when you add your second) in PCI-E 16 isn't really necessary as GPU's don't see a huge boost from running in that.

• I'd certainly add a HDD, they don't cost that much these days and as you are gaming you will fill up that 500GB extremely quickly once you download a few games (especially these days as new games are starting to be 50GB+). You also don't ever want to really fill up your SSD that much. Once you add in the HDD you could also drop down to a 250GB SSD and purely use that for your OS.

• That's more of a personal choice, I personally prefer full towers as it's easier for cable management and you generally have more airflow running through which is something you'd certainly want if you do decide to add in another 980 Ti in SLI.

• You don't need a sound card, motherboards these days come with more then good enough built in ones and you won't really notice a difference. The only time I personally think it's needed is if you are building it as a media center but as this is a gaming build I really wouldn't suggest it.

• You don't need a UPS at all. UPS' are really only needed when you can't afford to take a chance at losing any information (primarily companies). A high quality PSU will be able to deal with a power outage without damaging your system.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mvLz4D

That's what I've came up with for you. I know you included a wireless adapter in your original build but I honestly think you would be vastly better off just to run a cable directly to your computer, especially when you are running a rig like this the last thing you would possibly want is some lag due to internet issues. I also don't know a great deal about wireless adapters so I wouldn't have been able to pick you anything decent anyway.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're building your own rig, then adding a traditional spinner hdd in six to twelve months will be easy for you, from a technical standpoint. Also, think of it as a financing option, you're deferring $100+ until needed later. Just keep this in mind before you fill your ssd up too much.

UPS isn't needed as mentioned by other posters.

WiFi is fine for facebook games, but I wouldn't do serious gaming over WiFi. You should plug in your onboard NIC to your switch/router. It's faster and more reliable than wifi.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the inputs !

My new build looks like that:

So i went with the skylake as recommended but i chose the i7...I know it's not necessary but i feel it could be a bit more future proof...I added a 1TB HDD for storage in case and dropped the sound card. I agree gaming over wifi is far from ideal but I don't have a choice at this time unfortunately...So I really need the wireless card. I sticked to the NZXT Phantom 410 but really appreciated the other choices, there were some good cases you guys recommended but i need that optical drive unfortunately...I feel like the mobo MSI M7 is too much and would have been happy to stick with the - 50$ less - M5 but reading recent reviews it seems to have some BiOS unstability while the M7 seems just as stable and pretty to install yourself. What do you think??

And a follow up question: do you think there's any benefit waiting for black friday and/or cyber monday to buy the parts? I'm new to this but historically have you seen any deals for one (or both) of these days?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $419.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $87.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $639.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $48.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $85.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.89 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $28.66 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2150.29
Mail-in rebates -$75.00
Total $2075.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 21:18 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube