add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

When to launch and when to wait

philip

48 months ago

So some of us have been cranking on a new site lately aimed at laptops, tablets, and time permitting cell phones. Originally I wanted to push it live back in July/August, but that obviously didn't happen. We had a theoretically functional site, but I wasn't happy with the user experience yet. Then our office move-in happened which brought a lot of things to a standstill. Now here we are several months later prepping for go live.

Our new site for laptops and tablets, assuming no last minute emergencies, will be available within 24 hours.

Personally, I have mixed feelings. I feel good with what it provides, but it's not where I want it to be long-term. I want to ship out a perfect new site that doesn't require any additional work after launch, but that's a fairy tale. There's a constant battle between wanting what you feel is perfection and actually shipping something. (But I refuse to call it Beta - so if it's live it's live and that's it. It'll be functional and hopefully good, and I refuse to put out anything that requires our users to be a glorified test team.)

But you can't just sit on it forever. All the iteration in the world, on a small team, kinda operates in a vacuum. There are pain points we aren't going to anticipate until we let everyone try it out. So tomorrow our aim is to go live with a laptop/tablet site and then quickly iterate on the feedback we get. We hope you'll like it, and we look forward to the feedback you give (both positive and negative)!

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Philip, the forum agrees that we need to add fridges. #DemocracyRules https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/118916-operation-fridge

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, So you previously mentioned we would have to create new accounts for the website... but what if our username gets taken? I would like to use the same one but due to differing time zones I doubt I would be available when it goes live. Now obviously new accounts mean fresh start but how does the website function as a baseline? Does it consist of the same design as this one?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

For this site we're reserving all PCPartPicker usernames until 12/31/2015. Just register on the new site with your existing username and email and you'll be good to go. (You can change your email afterwards if you want.) After 12/31, anyone will be able to get any available username they want.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

So before the new year, i can sign up on the new site with the usename Xorex64 with my email and im good to go? No one can steal my name?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

That's correct.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The website is already up, (we just don't know url) so philip probably already made his account.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you found the url?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, great time to launch right before the holidays.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

AWW YEAH

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Would there be any way to link accounts after you make one for Tablets? that could be convenient for those who have a main account but travel a lot. either way, it will be good to see a mobile-emphasized site.

the future holds great things for this site

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

lol i kinda misread the topic, but my question still applies about linking accounts..

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't wait, it seems great. Will it focus on picking them out? Or building or something else?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

5 hours left! Can't wait!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Edit: 3 hours.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it launching at 9?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Jipster let it out. http://portablepicker.com

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried to signup for the site and I don't get an email to confirm my email address. Also, any plans to add this?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure why your confirmation email didn't go out. In any case, I've manually activated your account. And for the laptop - I'll pass that along to see if we can get it added.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yay'

Edit: can't seem to find activation email...

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't.. sign.. in.. to.. PortaP..

:(

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

You registered, but your account is not activated. Did you get (and click) the activation link?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I don't see the email.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it a lot.

Btw you probably noticed this but, all but your main (US) site are non-operational.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks! Should be fixed now.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What if we can't find the activation email?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking into it...

EDIT ok issue should be fixed. I've manually activated your account.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you philip!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 for the new site!!! But no activation email...

Right now I'm on my mobile device headed for the city. I'll try to register once again when I'm home.

Maybe it's also because I'm on a 3GS... It's slow af...

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a bug with one of our frontend servers. I've fixed the bug, but looks like I'll have to manually activate all the registrations that took place on that server before I fixed the bug. You should be activated very soon.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Philip,

I've always found PcPartPicker to be a very useful site. It gives me the ability to search and get the best pricing for my builds. I have basically have 2 questions regarding your business.

1. For any given product, there are usually only 4-6 retailers listed. I understand that these retailers are listed because you have been able to get to an agreement with them on a referral fee (CPA or similar). Do you have many retailers requesting to be listed but have decided not to list them because they have not met certain criteria beyond referral fees? If so, what are the reasons? A few examples i can think of are: lower traffic, lack of focus on pc parts, dubious business practices..

2. Having price competition is a good thing. It saves consumers money (time). At some point however, retailers may decide that the benefits from listing on your site no longer offsets the referral fees paid and loss of revenue from price wars. Have you seen any instances of this situation?

Good luck on the new sites. I'm very interested in how your phone picker site will work.

Sorry, one last final note. The pricing history chart could use a feature where you can select to only see the pricing history of 1 or more particular retailer. It's a bit of a mess with a bunch of lines on there at time.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

For Philips screwdrivers? ;o

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

We reserved everyone's pcpp username until the end of the year. Avatars though - we're looking into that. It's accepting the upload and storing it off, but not displaying it properly.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

When we do the official announce I'll describe it in more detail. But in summary, your pcpartpicker username is reserved on the new site. If you want to register with that username on portablepicker, you have to register using the same email address that you use on pcpp. That lasts until 12/31 to give people a chance to create accounts there with the same username. After 12/31 we're going to release the reservations and let people register regardless of an existing pcpp account of the same name.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah if you use the same email when registering it'll go through as normal. It's only if you try to register a reserved one with a different email - then you'll see an error message describing what's going on.

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

Welcome back. :)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Annnnd it just uncovered the first bug in the forums on the new site. Will fix that as soon as my wife goes to bed...

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I think congrats are in order - you're the first non-staff user registration on the new site.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Stalking quietly like a lion in the grasses of Africa

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Welcome back jipster!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

lol m8

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Already tried it :(

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

They said that pcpp takes parts and sells for higher. Thats false, they receive revenue by payments from the retailers listed for parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube