add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Kaynine
  • 54 months ago

I have a friend who is DEAD set on building in this case. I have tried numerous times to sway his mind but have come up unsuccessful every time. He will be playing League of Legends and CS:GO exclusively with the occasional streaming of videos. Money isn't really a concern...but he wants it to be more than capable of performing flawlessly at max settings at 1440p... just not "too too" overkill. He is big on aesthetics and wants it to be red and black yawn, just not a full loop since it is his first computer. I was thinking about a reference 980 since the air flow is somewhat limited, especially in front of the card.

If you could put a parts list together that would be greatly appreciated. I know enough to get a decent build going, just not enough for such a difficult layout. He doesn't care if it's Invidia or AMD.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure if "too too" overkill, but I tried. I hope this is the case http://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-O5SX-Aluminum-Wall-Mountable/dp/B00UPIB2PO as it is what I based this on.

Also video of the case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwQUdXBWqTw

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $109.99 @ Micro Center
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $208.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $103.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.68 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $170.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $668.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $117.99 @ Directron
Optical Drive LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $86.40 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.75 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan $15.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair SP120 57.2 CFM 120mm Fans $20.99 @ Newegg
Other Lian Li PC-O5S PC-O5SX Black Aluminum Mini Wall-Mountable Chassis $279.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2235.37
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $2225.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-05 11:08 EDT-0400
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man. I will show both of these to him and explain everything. Same question though, wont the aftermarket coolers on the Ti pose a problem?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It shouldn't as the the case has a lot of ventilation on the sides, The 140MM fan I added to go in the back should be used to push more cold air into the case. With no 3.5 cage to make room for the bigger card, this added space gives more air flow as well. Besides the taking up of room in the case a HDD can add unneeded heat so SSD's only, one for the OS/one for games & documents. In my mind it should work out fine. If not there is always full out water cooling everything for more $$$.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't find it on pc partpicker.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

There lies the problem. So much more difficult.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Why does he want the case so bad?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Closest Case on PCPP that looks close to (maybe exactly) same: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pco6sx

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the bigger mATX version. The one in question is mini itx, similar restrictions to the Silverstone rvz01 but a bit less CPU Clarence. However you can install AIOs which you would pretty much have to for either overclocking and or aesthetics.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, just found that; looks like 4 different versions. Nice looking but very limiting for GPU, it seems.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah about 7.5 inches from memory. I was interested in them a while a ago but the price is a joke so I moved on lol

R9 Nano? lol

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

He won't fit a 980 in that case. Using the MicroATX version of it, none of the current GPU fit inside there.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

it would have to be the mini ITX 970s for max performance. or as I jested the R9 Nano..

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing against AMD...but glad that glass panel is tempered...for heat...or something;)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

or as I jested the R9 Nano

the best itx card for now....

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Not the best price thats for damn sure.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

agree! :(

the price of HBM

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

"Money isn't a problem" Also, I saw that you can remove the drive bay on the right hand side which gives you enough room for a full size gpu. The drives would just have to be moved to the back which is fine. There is ONE build on here using this case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/TX7hP6

He is using a gtx 970 here.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube