+ Total (United States):
After graduating high school, I decided to do something over the summer so I wouldn’t be sitting around for two months. Building a case is what I decided to do and it took alot longer than I thought it would. I spent a good two months working on this case to make it just the way I wanted and it turned out better than I could have expected.
Link to the old build.
CPU – Microcenter had a good deal on it.
CPU Cooler – I wanted to try an AIO liquid cooler, so I got a cheap one.
Memory – I got this back in Febuary of 2012, when it was cheap and never had a reason to change it.
Storage – The V300 is from the previous build and I carried it over when I got the 500GB EVO.
Video Card - When I got this card, the fan on it was completely dead. I zip tied two 92mm PWM fans to the heat sink, so now it is basically a quadruple slot card, but at least it stays cool.
Power Supply – It’s a quality PSU at a decent price. Never had any problems with it unlike my previous CX600.
Case – This is where things get interesting. When I first started out on this project, I thought it would maybe take three weeks, but as I started to actually build it, I realized just how long it would take to complete the case in the way I wanted it to be done. I wanted to build a clear case that actually looked good. I had seen some cheap clear cases online, but they just didn’t look that great to me. I wanted to build something better. Something that could sit on my desk and not get scratched up everytime I touched it so it would still look good in a few years. The first thing I did was lay out all my test parts to decide how to place things inside the case. I took the measurements and bought the polycarbonate and aluminum to start building. After I made the frame, I cut each polycarbonate panel to fit inside. The hardest part of making the case was fitting the rear I/O panel. Luckily, I measured about twenty times before cutting and making the rear panel, so it actually fit. After I finished making the case, I took it all apart and plasti-dipped the aluminum. When I assembled the case for the final time, I added fan filters to the front two fans, bottom fan, and the PSU. Something interesting about the way the case is made it that the I/O panel goes in after the motherboard, because of how the motherboard secures onto the motherboard tray and how the I/O panel is put in from the outside of the case.
Overall, I am really happy about how the case turned out. I thought the mistakes would be visible and cables would ruin the look, but I was able to hide most of the cables behind the motherboard. The leds on the front fans, power and reset buttons, and the cpu waterblock really make this build pop in the dark.