I had knee surgery about a month ago. While recovering from that I had to find something to do. I decided to gather all the spare PC parts I have had from the past few years and make them into a Steam PC. I only had to buy a SSD and a Case to make it operational. I managed to get the SSD at a good price on Ebay. I ordered the case from Amazon and UPS lost it. Thanks to Amazon's amazing customer service, they refunded my money and told me to keep the case if it arrives. Just before I tried to order another, UPS stops by with the case. Lucky me.
I used a dremel to cut a window and to cut a space for easier access to wiring and smoothed out the face so I could make my own faceplate. The faceplate that came with the case was unnecessarily bulky so I didn't want to use it. The faceplate is made out of acrylic that was left over from the window. I painted the back of it and it came out to look really nice and glossy on the other side.
After that, I painted the interior with the more expensive Krylon spray paint. It turned out smoother than I expected so I painted the PSU case and the two fans. I learned that painting fan blades is a bad idea because if you overcoat, your fan will slow more than you expect. I had to replace one of the fans because of it. I got something nicer instead.
I spent alot of time looking at case mods and became interested in sleeving. I stumbled upon Lutro0-Customs' sleeving guides and learned how to do it. I made alot of sloppy mistakes so I had to redo some of it. But in the end I think I did pretty good for my first time. The slim PSU came out much better than expected. I had to remove a Sata connector and the annoying Molex connectors in order to have space to make it all work.
I made a power switch and power LED using the connectors from the original faceplate and a spare switch from Radio Shack. I had a USB powered LED strip that I wanted to use in the case but I didn't have any spare connectors from the PSU. I decided to crimp female dupont terminals and use the internal USB motherboard slots. Worked perfect!
Finally, I installed Steam OS and hooked up a wireless Xbox 360 controller. I streamed Grid 2 and it played smoothly.
This was my first complete case mod and I am happy with the results. I didn't realize how long it takes to plan everything and finish it. Painting parts took a long time and sleeving the cables took twice as long. Now I will probably start some projects on my power rig because I see the potential.